Market Operations Manager
Thibodaux Main Street Market – Thibodaux, Louisiana
Contract – Part Time Position
Position: Market Operations Manager
The Market Operations Manager reports directly to the Thibodaux Main Street Executive Director initially and ultimately to the Thibodaux Main Street Board of Directors, oversees and recruits volunteers to run a successful market every Saturday. She/he also serves as the face of the Market. In addition to managing the operations and promotion, the Manager works to grow market revenues, attendance and partnerships with support from the board.
Since the manager is the primary staff person, she/he must be highly motivated, efficient, and able to manage diverse vendors, and volunteers. Should be efficient, quick thinking, and always improving the market. She/he must be comfortable enforcing rules, addressing conflicts, and communicating with vendors of diverse backgrounds, business practices and experience.
The position includes the following responsibilities:
- Arrive to market thirty minutes early to prepare site: coordinate with Thibodaux Police Department, put out market signage, set up Thibodaux Main Street tent, etc.
- Set-up and operate the Downtown Thibodaux booth: information, merchandise.
- Facilitate vendor set-up as needed; help to resolve any problems that arise.
- Be visible and accessible to vendors and customers during the market day.
- Oversee market site and market day activities, including special events, live music, etc.
- Promote freshness, quality, and local products, goods and services.
- At the end of market operations, take care of necessary tasks to return the market site to its normal operations.
- Assist with the management and maintenance of the Markets social media presence during the week and on market day at the manager’s convenience, postings, ads, event pages, answering questions, etc.
- Enforce market rules as outlined in the market guidelines.
- Address any customer and/or vendor complaints/issues during market operation.
- Collect copies of any required permits and licenses from vendors. Maintain file on each vendor.
- Provide other management services necessary and appropriate to assure efficient market operation.
- Submit weekly report to the Executive Director of Thibodaux Main Street, Inc. a market recap sheet, including crowd counts, complaints, suggestions, recent photographs of market, vendors present, booth fees paid, documentation on how time was spent, etc. (Refer to Weekly Report Form) Weekly reports will be compiled for reporting at the monthly board meeting of Thibodaux Main Street, Inc. attendance at board meetings may be required at times throughout the year.
- Recruit, train, and coordinate market volunteers.
- Attract, retain, and manage an excellent and diverse mix of local vendors.
- Act as recruiter and facilitator to new vendors; respond to inquiries in a timely manner, ensure all vendors complete application form, and confirm that they adhere to the market guidelines.
- Maintain a database of vendors including contact information, availability, etc.
- Hold vendor information meeting at least once per year and as issues arise throughout the market season.
- Meet with Thibodaux Main Street, Inc.’s Board of Directors and Executive Director to develop a strategic and annual market plan, prepare market budget, with a focus on creating a sustainable market.
- Participate in end-of-season market evaluation and goal setting for the next season.
- Coordinate with Executive Director for email blast, i.e. weekly community communications.
We are looking for managers with:
- A self-starting, entrepreneurial, and hands-on style
- Ability to think on your feet; for example, field a variety of inquiries or complaints courteously while minding market operations
- Strong passion for building community through food, small business, and in public space
- Ability to manage and recruit volunteers of all ages and capabilities
- Ability to delegate and train efficiently, while keeping volunteers at ease
- Knowledge of farmed foods, local foods, food entrepreneurs and an ability to learn quickly
- Experience working in farmers’ markets or event management
- Comfort representing the market to a variety of community members, businesses and patrons
- Microsoft Excel and basic accounting skills
- Ability to work Saturdays (7:30am-12:30pm)
- Passion for community events, food, health, and small business
- Excellent inter-personal skills, communication skills and a positive attitude
Salary and Hours:
The total annual salary for this position is $4,500 to compensate for the five and a half (5 ½) hours, 8:00am to 12:30pm or during normal operation of the market, spent at every market, plus the extra time needed for organizing the vendors, weekly report forms, etc. typically averaging an additional 3-4 hours per week. The market operates 12 months a year.
Send resume to: Thibodaux Main Street, Inc., 409B West Third Street, Thibodaux LA 70301 or email email@example.com
THIBODAUX MAIN STREET MARKET is open ever Saturday, year round. If you would like to be a vendor in the market, please call Melissa Chiasson at 985-413-9886.
Come join us Saturday mornings from 8AM – 12:30 PM for the Thibodaux Main Street Market.
The Market is located next to Jean Lafitte National Historic Park and Preserve, across from the Carrot Patch.